This is the biggest settlement and an administrative center of Neringa. Currently, Nida has approximately 1,550 of permanent residents living there; every summer, around 50 thousand visitors spend their holidays here. Nida was mentioned for the first time in the documents of Teutonic Orden in 1385 by the name of "Noyken" and "Noyden". According to historical sources, the old Nida village was situated on the northern coast of Grobstas Cape‘s gulf. The second Nida was located 2 km south of the present Nida. In 1730 migrating fishermen founded the third Nida beside Parnidis Gulf. Three former villages - Nida, Skruzdyne and Purvyne – currently comprise the Nida settlement. Nida is located 48 km away from Klaipeda and 4 km away from the border of Kaliningrad region of the Russian Federation. Previously, mainly fishermen lived here; from the end of XIX century Nida started to be famous as a resort. Currently, this is a great place for rest. The settlement is spread on the seacost for about two kilometers from the south to the north. With its south end it reaches the Parnidis Gulf, and with its northern end it gradually disappears in the sands of the Cape of Bulvikis.
This is the third biggest settlement of Neringa town, which is located in the gulf between Preila and the Goat Cape. During 1836 - 1843 Preila was founded by the residents of sandbound Nagliai and Karvaiciai villages. The settlement stands in 39 km distance from Klaipeda, and in 10 km distance from Nida. It has approximately 200 local people permanently residing there. About 1.5 km north of Preila, so-called Karvaiciai Dune is looming. Under the sand of this dune, the settlement of Karvaiciai village is buried.
The smallest settlement of Neringa surrounded by the dune ridge in the west. Approximately 40 people reside permanently here. It is considered that the name of this fishermen‘s village originated from the process of boats‘ carry. This settlement, same as Preila, was founded by the residents of sandbound Nagliai and Karvaiciai villages. There is Skirpstas Hill’s dune of 53 m height in southern part of Pervalka. Pervalka is located 34 km from Klaipeda and 15 km distance from Nida.
The second biggest settlement of Neringa located on the coast of the Curonian Lagoon between high parabolic dunes. When navigating in the Lagoon, this location looks quite dark; therefore, it is considered that the name of Juodkrante originated from two words: „black coast“. In written sources, Juodkrante was first mentioned in 1429. During 1854 – 1855, 2,250 tons of amber were found and excavated in its approaches, and in 1882 highly valuable prie-historic amberware were found there. Prior to the World War II, Juodkrante was famous as a resort of European level. Currently, Juodkrante offers an excellent rest and comfort as well.
Several families are living in Alksnyne‘s steading. Formerly, a gulf of the Curonian Spit was in this place. While canalizing the watercourse for ships to navigate, this gulf was filled up with the gound excavated. In the end of XIX mentury, while planting the dunes, a dune supervisor‘s farmstead was constructed, which was given the name of Alksnynas. This settlement has Alksnyne‘s control post located, where local toll for entrance of the territory of the National Park of the Curonian Spit is, which is administered by the Municipality of Neringa, is collected. Approximately 500 m from Alksnyne, on the left side of the road, you will see a monument designed for the soldiers of the Red Army, who lost their lives at the end of January, 1945. 3 km from Alksnyne, on the right side of the road, where the forest is somewhat distant from the road, even now you will see the verduous foundations of buildings. In the house that was formely here, postal road supervisor was living here since the old times. Wooden huts were constructed in this place after Prussian and French War (1870 - 1871); war captives, who were performing the works of planting the dunes‘ sand plains and prie-dunes of this neighbourhood, were accommodated here. Later, when the captives were set free, women, who were performing the works of planting the dunes, were accommodated here. Local residents named the valley of the seacoast sand plains by the name of the Valley of Love, and named the dune close to it by the name of the Love Dune.
This is a territory of the protected National Park of the Curonian Spit, which is being administrated by the Municipality of Klaipeda City. One of the oldest settlement of the Curonian Spit, where inns existed already during the time of Teutonic Order (on the southeast base of Smiltyne Dune). In 1837 the inns were relocated to the top of the dune. A privilege of ferry to the city also belonged to the inn‘s owner. From 1870, Smiltyne Dune was started to be planted. In 1900, by the efforts of "Smiltyne association", construction of a curehouse (presently – "Smiltyne" Hotel) was completed. In 1936, Lithuanian Yachtsmen Union has founded the first yachting school (presently – Klaipeda Yacht-club) in Smiltyne. From this point to the south direction the line of dune ridge, which was planted in the end of XIX century, starts and extends up to Juodkrante.
The most tourists‘ visited places are Sea Museum, the only Dolphinarium in Lithuania, and Nature Museum of the National Park of the Curonian Spit.