Valley of Death

In the southern part of the reservation in the lowland of dune bend lies the Valley of Death (lit. Mirties slėnis). In 1870-1872 French camp for military prisoners was located here. Due to harsh imprisonment conditions, exhaustion and diseases many died there. The dead were buried in locally established cemetery. The most beautiful and tranquil place in the world was turned into real hell. This place is now called the Death Hollow.

Source: Bučas J. Kuršių nerijos Nacionalinis Parkas. Vilnius, 2001