June 1 – September 30
October 1 – May 31
During summer season from June 1 till September 30 works on national holidays too.
Adult - 2,50 EUR
Student, pupil - 1,00 EUR
Groups more than 10 persons - 2,00 EUR
Thomas Mann first visited Nida in 1929 after his visit in Rauschen. Recalling his visit there he wrote in his Essay of life: "We spent several days in the fishing village of Nida and we were so impressed by the inexpressible beauty and uniqueness of its surroundings that we decided to build a permanent residence in this fair place".
One year later a summer-house, designed by the architect Herbert Reissmann, was built on "Mother-in-law" hill. Reminiscent of a fisherman's house it became the new residence of the Nobel Prize winner, stimulating his creativity and a place to rest and relax.
One can view so-called “Italian Scenery” appearing from the dune called “Hill of Mother-in-law”. Thomas Mann described it in the following way: “Scenery of the sea, which makes you imagine you are at the coast of Mediterranean Sea, - the sand enhances this impression. Dinner in the north, mixture of Tony Kreger, so familiar and lovely since the old times”.
On July 16th 1930, Thomas Mann, together with his family, crossed the doorstep for the first time. The writers dream to possess a summer-house by the Baltic Sea had come true. "[...] by such a Baltic sea that I did not know at all. Both the sea and the beach is a reminder of one of the primitive elements in nature."
Thomas Mann and his family spent three consecutive summers in Nida from 1930-1932. During this time Thomas Mann not only relaxed, but he wrote various articles, essays, numerous letters and the novel Joseph and his brothers.
It was in Nida that the writer issued his warning on the Königsberg Pogrom of 1932 entitled "What we are to expect". Thomas Mann and his family were forced to leave Germany in 1933.
The house survived the war relatively untouched and, thanks to efforts of the writer Antanas Venclova, it was saved from ruin. In 1967 the building was restored and a memorial and a library were founded. Since 1987 the Thomas Mann seminars have regularly taken place.
In 1995/1996 repairs were carried out on the house with financial assistance from the Governments of Lithuania and the Federal Republic of Germany. In 1995 the Thomas Mann Cultural Centre was established in the house and it became a museum.