The goal of the exposition is to show life in the Curonian Spit of that period of time as naturally as possible. 56 porcelain dolls, dressed in clothes of that time, are building ships, fishing, catching amber, while 13 wooden sailing ships are sailing in the “lagoon.”
The first outdoor exposition-museum of copies of weatherwanes of the old kurėnai in the country was started to be created in Neringa in 2003. At the moment, one can see 82 weatherwanes along the bank of the lagoon in Nida, which belong to the Curonian Spit History Museum.
The three-meter-high oak sculpture was built in 1972. The author of the sculpture is Stanislovas Bartkevičius. This is his diploma work. The sculpture was built in the center of Nida at the initiative of the then Neringa architect A. Zaviša.
The square, while undergoing renovation, had become a temporary shelter for the sculpture, a present to the town, while searching for the most-suitable place for it. Yet, the sculpture had not been moved out. After the central square of Nida was reconstructed in the spring of 2014, the sculpture stayed in it as a dominant part of the spacial composition.
The Church of the Holy Virgin Mary, Help of Christians is the first and only Roman Catholic church in Neringa, officially opened on 14 June 2003. The architects of the church are from Nida, i.e. Ričardas Krištapavičius and Algimantas Zaviša. The wooden place of worship, designed in contemporary style, has been built on a vanished dune in the centre of the settlement. It blends into the unique landscape.
The Curonian Spit, the unique creation of people and nature, located in the territory of two countries, namely, Lithuania and Russia, has been on a list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites since December 2000. To commemorate this occasion, memorial pyramids have erected. One - in Nida, in the beginning of Lotmiškio Street, and one in Juodkrantė.
The copper sculpture represents a love scene between well-known legendary characters, the goddess Jūratė and the fisherman Kąstytis. The sculpture has been made at a request of the guest house Jūratė in 1984 and placed in a courtyard, a mini-park with a pool (next to Pamario g. 3, Nida).
The sculpture is dedicated to the pioneer of Lithuanian sung poetry, performer and songwriter Vytautas Kernagis. Nida has been chosen to commemorate the maestro as he was a symbol of Benai, Plaukiam Į Nidą, an opening festival for a summer season in Nida for many years. The sculptor has depicted life-size Kernagis with a guitar, his key attribute. Everyone is welcome to sit down next to the maestro and take a picture.
This piece was made of reinforced plastic at a request of Lithuanian Post to commemorate the history of the post office. The bas-relief portrays a horse-drawn mail-carriage and, at the same time, takes us back to the period between the 17th century and the first half of the 19th century, the times of the European postal route which passed through the Curonian Spit and connected it to the western Europe, central Europe and the Baltic countries.
The bronze sculpture “Rest,” which depicts a woman relaxing on the beach, is situated in the centre of Nida, in the square adjacent to the Neringa Art School (Pamario g. 4, Nida). The woman is dreamily looking at a pool with a fountain next to her. The fountain, renovated in 2014, is the only one in Neringa.
The writer, playwright and translator Viktoras Miliūnas lived and worked in Nida from 1961 to 1986. In 1961, the Miliūnas family bought half of a semi-detached fisherman’s hut on G.D. Kuverto Street in Nida. Although Miliūnas did not know it back then, Nida would become everything for him: a newly discovered world of sand and forests between the lagoon and the sea, where he would find himself, his peace, his inspiration to create as well as the seaside fishermen that became so dear to his heart.
The church of Nida was consecrated on 10 October 1888. The then Lutheran priest Gustav Echternach undertook the construction of the church. A beautiful, red-brick Gothic building of Nida Evangelical Lutheran Church has survived all the post-war devastations.
The museum’s visitors can visit an outdoor exposition and walk one string of the Amber Road, which starts by the Baltic Sea and goes all along Europe towards the Etruscan lands in Italy. Here, they will find an old amber workshop where ways and tools to work with amber will be presented (if they want to, they can even try to become amber “masters” themselves and make fortune amulets), will see a spectacular collection of amber inclusions, amulets from the treasure in Juodkrantė and get acquainted with amber morphology.
Nida Evangelical Lutheran Church neighbours Nida Ethnographic Cemetery, dating back to the 19th and 20th c. The ethnographic cemetery has Krikštai, wooden grave markers that were common in the Curonian Spit and have survived until this day in their original forms.
Construction of the first Nida Lighthouse began during the 2nd half of the 19th century after the war of German unification. The hexagonal, red-brick, 27 metre-heigh tower was built at the same time when the 51.4-metre-high Urbas Hill was being afforested. For that purpose, a special plank road was paved towards the peak. The lighthouse began operating on October 20, 1874. It could then be reached by a cobblestone path containing 200 steps, which have survived to the present day.
The museum was opened on 16 September 1969 in the building of the Nida Evangelical Lutheran Church, the activities of which were suspended at that time. The exhibition displayed in the church showed the formation of the Curonian Spit and the Curonian Lagoon, local people, nature, trades, etc.
The 5-metre-high oak sculpture representing an armchair is situated near the lagoon in the Valley of Silence. This sculpture is related to the legendary giant Neringa, who created the peninsula of the Curonian Spit. According to the employees of the Curonian Spit National Park Administration, Neringa's Chair is more than just a piece of art. Anybody who wants to climb it and sit down can do it.
At the northern foot of the Parnidis Dune, there is the Valley of Silence, a quiet place surrounded by other dunes. To commemorate the restoration of Lithuania's independence in 1991, a roadside pillar was built at the beginning of the valley. This is where the Parnidis Nature Trail begins.
The writer’s Thomas Mann Memorial Museum is among the most visited museums in the western Lithuania. Between 1929 and 1930, a summer house was built on the Uošvė Hill in Nida, according to the architect Herbert Reissmann’s project. The writer Thomas Mann and his family spent three summers (between 1930 and 1932) there.
Foresters cemetery, located at the intersection of Nida - Smiltynė highway and G. D. Kuverto street, there is a monument to Georg Dovidas Kuvertas, built in 1864.
The sculpture of glued solid oak is situated nearby the café Senas Žvejas (Eng. Old Fisherman) on Nidos-Smiltynės pl. 8, Nida. The sculpture showing winds reminds us of extraordinary living conditions in the Curonian Spit and how dependent local fishers are on the forces of nature.
On the Parnidis sand dune, beside the path that leads to the Sundial, a new sculptural composition has been unveiled. It is a bench to commemorate the French soldiers who played a role in the formation of the landscape of the Couronian Spit. According to historical sources, in 1916, the Valley of Death was a camp for French prisoners of war.
This valley is located between the Parnidis Dune and the Gliders' Dune. There, between 1870 and 1872, a camp for French war prisoners was established. Many prisoners died due to the poor prison's conditions, exhaustion and disease. They were buried in the camp's cemetery located in the same place. Therefore, the valley started to bear such a name.
To the north of Preila settlement, at the foot of Karvaičiai hill, stands an oak roof pillar to commemorate the tragedy of the swollen Karvaičiai village. The monumental roof pillar stands right on the shore of the lagoon, on the eastern side of the bike path.
We invite you to start your acquaintance with the Gray Dunes (also called Dead Dunes) from the 32nd kilometre on the road going from Smiltynė to Nida, where there is a hiking trail in the Nagliai nature reserve.
On the way to Nida, just outside of Juodkrantė and before reaching the peak of the steep Avinas Hill, there is another hill in the ancient woods, called the Garniai Hill (the Hill of Herons). It has been named after a nearby colony of grey herons and great cormorants. It is one of the largest colonies of such birds in the whole Europe.
Contact information: L. Rėzos g. 3, LT-93101 Juodkrantė, Neringa +370 687 09099 firstname.lastname@example.org. Between October and May the gallery is closed. Opening hours: the gallery is open during summer season (12 June – 31 August) from Tuesday to Saturday from 1:00 PM to 8:00 PM.
Liudvikas Rėza Culture Centre has permanent display about history, dedicated to the prominent personality of the area, Martynas Liudvikas Rėza, and the history of Juodkrantė.