May - September
I-VII 8: 00–20: 00
In the eastern part of Nida fishing village, Skruzdynė, 1867. Friedrich Blode founded the hotel. About 1885 Hermann Blode took over his father's hotel, married Emma Zander, and over time became a famous "patron of artists." The first painters gathered on his famous "artists' porch" for fun meetings and serious conversations. More and more artists discovered the beauty of the Curonian Spit, Nida, and so around 1890. A colony of Nida artists was born in the Herman Blode Hotel, which flourished for the first time before the First World War. Not only painters gathered in the "Artists' Porch", over two hundred of them visited Nida, but also writers, composers, musicians and actors. The abundant records of the missing guest books eloquently testified to the multi-layered community of artists who visited here: Ernst Bischoff-Culm, Walther Heymann, Max Pechstein, Lovis Corinth, Sigmund Freud, Thomas Mann, Hans Beppo-Borschke, Karl Schmidt-Rotluff.
1923 Klaipėda region, with it and the northern part of the Curonian Spit, went to Lithuania. The soon-to-be economic hardship made Herman Blode think about closing a tradition-rich hotel. In the late 1920s, Herman Blode fell ill, so Ernst Mollenhauer gradually supported the already well-known home of artists outside Germany. Herman Blode, the "King of the Curonian Spit", died in 1934, and laid his eternal rest in the old Nida fishermen's cemetery.
1944 the front line approached Nida. Trenches, soldiers housed in rooms and halls, and refugees escaped by the ice of the Curonian Lagoon were uprooted around the Hermann Blode Hotel. The whole village was evacuated, except the fishermen called up for the army. The studio’s treasure and collection burst into the Soviet soldiers ’sauna, which turned into the same studio. The old one, from 1867. the standing house of the family of Herman Blode, the nucleus of the Nida artists' colony, was demolished in the early 1960s to give way to a new building. Of the beautiful, well-groomed habitat of the creators, only the dramatically changed southern wing remained. Today, the former colony of artists is reminiscent of a small historical exposition in the Nida Banga Hotel.