Construction of the first Nida Lighthouse began during the 2nd half of the 19th century after the war of German unification. The hexagonal, red-brick, 27 metre-heigh tower was built at the same time when the 51.4-metre-high Urbas Hill was being afforested. For that purpose, a special plank road was paved towards the peak. The lighthouse began operating on October 20, 1874. It could then be reached by a cobblestone path containing 200 steps, which have survived to the present day.
The Pervalka Lighthouse, standing in the Curonian Lagoon next to Pervalka in front of the Žirgai Cape (Eng. “Horses’ Cape”) in the Birštvynas Point was built and began operating on November 27, 1900. It is the only lighthouse in the Curonian Lagoon that is located on the water, not on land, on a small artificial isle built approximately 200 metres from the coast.